AN AVIATRIX OF THE AIRWAVES: POPPY NTSHONGWANA



Radio host and fashion icon Poppy Ntshongwana shares her journey to success with Indwe
This multi-talented radio host, who was born in the Eastern Cape, is already leaving her mark on the South African entertainment landscape. It has been a long and fruitful journey since her first gig as a newsreader at a campus radio station, and her progression into a fully fledged radio host is the result of hard work and a clear vision.

I started out on campus radio at TUKS FM. I went for an audition and was asked to read the news initially. Gradually I was afforded an opportunity to also host a weekly show at the station which helped me to grow as a presenter,” she says.

Grabbing the opportunity with both hands, Poppy used this experience to prepare herself for what she says is her childhood dream.



But Why Radio?
“I’ve always wanted to be on radio. I’m attracted to the power it possesses as a medium, being able to talk to people and giving them a platform to share their stories and engage about what goes on in their lives.”

She adds: “It is also a great platform to influence pop culture and to share my views on life.”

In 2005, Poppy got a chance to showcase what she had learnt at campus radio when she made her transition to a commercial station by joining 5FM as a newsreader. Within two years of working at the station, she landed her own show.

The move to 5FM was undoubtedly one of the defining moments in her career, as she had to adapt to a much broader demographic which meant extra hard work and patience. “It took the right amount of confidence, patience and skill for me to have a good run at 5FM. I had to keep working at my craft and always improving. As a live medium, it takes a lot of work to make radio seem effortless.”

A Passion for Pop Culture
A blossoming radio career has also allowed Poppy to diversify her portfolio. Besides being on air,
she has also broadened her scope by hosting events as a speaker, as well as a club DJ.

It is no secret that the South African club scene is very male dominated, but the 5FM presenter has managed to cement her place as one of the most acknowledged female disc spinners in the industry.

Ntshongwana has featured in major concerts and high profile club events as a DJ alongside big names in the DJ sphere. “Everyone wants to be a DJ, that is one of the reasons why I approach that part of the industry with respect,” she says.

 “That is why it is important for me to package my offering differently. I bring a personality to my sets, as it is an extension of what I do on radio. Everything is inter-linked, and I use that to set myself apart from other DJs.”

Poppy admits that being a female club DJ is not easy, which is one of the reasons why there are not many women in this part of the industry. However, the passion she has for music ignited the resilience she needed to pursue that aspect of her dream. “Initially people struggled to take women seriously in the DJ space, and we’ve had to work twice as hard to prove ourselves,” she explains. “As a young lady it’s important to be aware of the challenges, and working around them is the first step. We need to be able to adapt to any circumstance and to deliver what’s expected of us at all times.”

A Future in Fashion
The 5FM presenter is also very popular for her fashion sense: elegant and stylish, but at the same time hip and urban. In 2014 she was appointed as the South African ambassador for Italian shoe-line Superga.

“I was approached by the brand, and they outlined the plan they had for repositioning their products. I felt that their vision was complementary to where I am heading as an individual. I am in love with the brand, so I couldn’t say no.”

Soon after her appointment, Superga embarked on an impressive campaign with Poppy which received rave reviews all round.

Ntshongwana views this partnership with Superga as an opportunity to learn more about the fashion business, especially from a producer’s side. “I’ve always wanted to understand and dabble in the business side of fashion. I am already laying out plans for future fashion projects because of the insight that I have gained from this,” she says.

What’s to Come?
Poppy currently hosts a daytime show on 5FM called **The House of Poppy** from 10h00 to 13h00 every week day.

After spending ten years at the station, she still aims to improve and remain consistent in her radio career. “I plan to have more involvement in the fashion space. Radio, on the other hand, is something I plan to do forever.”











Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment