Africa’s Very Own Evil Knievel Sick Nick



Sitting in a coffee shop in Hatfield, Pretoria, I’m chatting to “Sick Nick” De Wit, world number five and Africa’s number one ranked FMX (Freestyle Motocross) champion. I ask the 33-year-old Joburger if he ever gets scared of crashing while doing somersaults on his dirt bike and ending up paralysed or dead. His reply stings like a backhanded **klap** right across the Grim Reaper’s face.  


“If you’re going to die, you’re going to die; don’t let fear of death stop you from achieving your destiny.” He pauses to take a sip of his frothy coffee, locking eyes with me, assessing whether his answer has unnerved me somehow. It did, and I think he noticed. “You have to be extremely cautious and have zero percent fear to avoid crashes.” 

He says it with a touch of annoyance in his voice, as if talking about crashing will jinx his next stunt. His tone softens when he talks about his love for the sport, however.

Nick grabbed his first pair of handlebars at age 13 doing motocross races, and never let go, though he disliked FMX initially. “When I first saw FMX in the late 90s I thought the riders were insane and thought I’d never do it.” Only after winning a FMX competition at Cape Town’s 2002 Woodstock Music Festival did he discover his FMX calling. He then went on to win every show until the competition’s liquidation in 2009. In 2003, Red Bull approached Nick with a sponsorship offer that changed his life.

Since then Nick has been stunting in exotic locations worldwide, barely having time to hose down his bike before getting called to ramp it in another international venue. He’s also the first African to compete in the Red Bull X Fighters, the boss of FMX competitions. “I rode at the X-Fighters in Spain and Germany in 2009 and in Cairo in 2010. I’ve also ridden in Singapore, Tunisia, Columbia, Taiwan, Japan, Peru, Dubai, Germany, Namibia and Brazil,” he adds.

Other noteworthy stunts he’s accomplished include setting the world record for the highest FMX show at 3.5 km above sea level in La Paz, Bolivia. He also performed in the world’s biggest action sports tour, **Nitro Circus**, during its first tour of the continent in South Africa earlier this year.

On 23rd August, Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour will host its finale – for the first time in Africa – at Pretoria’s Union Buildings, which is something Nick is really looking forward to. “I’ll have home ground advantage, and the best thing about it is that I won’t have to sit in a plane for hours and endure jet lag.”

His preparations include tough physical training at the University of Pretoria’s High Performance Centre, as well as punishing his bike in his backyard motocross circuit. “I’m lucky to have a big piece of land I could develop into a FMX course. It’s got landings, ramps, and a foam pit,” he explains.

Nick knows he will be up against the meanest FMX riders in the world, like feared Frenchman and defending champion Tom Pagès. To gain advantage, Nick urges South Africans to show up and show some love. “You can even bring vuvuzelas if you want!”

But can spectators expect any new teeth-gritting tricks? “I’m working on many new tricks. I can’t divulge my secrets, but you’ll be blown away!” he says with confidence.

With that the interview has ended, and the waiter brings the bill, which Nick very politely offers to pay – on one condition: “As long as you promise to come and support me at Union Buildings.” As we leave, we bump fists and I confirm: “Of course, I’ll even bring my vuvuzela.”





Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment